- to continue the historical legacy of silhouettes
- to offer a living experience of our history
- to offer an elegant reminder of an event
- to break events out of old ideas and offerings
“My name is Lauren Muney. I cut silhouettes freehand with scissors, in the traditional portrait style made especially popular 1760-1860's, and extending into the 21st century as well. This historical style of portraiture was very popular before photography was invented.
My only tools are special paper and scissors - I look at my sitter and cut the profile into the paper. I do not draw these portraits before cutting: the scissors do the “drawing”, committing the cuts immediately without possibility of erasure.
People who watch me cut these portraits exclaim their amazement of the process – and often remark how much fun it is just to watch. Silhouette portraiture is a interesting in-person experience — as well as the sitter becoming an iconic classic portrait.
I have been involved in corporate and other special events for over 30 years as a producer and entertainer, so I understand the industry throughly. I offer silhouette portraiture to any business or social setting with guests, clients, or visitors – to create an personal, respectful memento of the event. Silhouettes give a quick, elegant, and interesting interactive option for upscale events.
My favorite events to participate are living-history festival events and museums. My specialty is to dress in the historical time period, have period supplies, and tell little details of the history while working, thus completing the visitors’ feeling of their own participation in a traditional art.
Parents are excited and adoring of these silhouettes portraits. They are charmed by the traditional feel of these silhouettes, thus capturing their children forever in a beautiful style for years to come. They often have silhouettes done by mail-order or at another of my scheduled events.
As the owner of several businesses, I endeavor to treat all my clients and customers professionally and responsibly in our collaboration together".
Lauren Muney has been a professional artist, entertainer, producer, and consultant for over 30 years. Alongside her graphic illustration degree from a leading arts college, her experience with live events of all types ranges across the United States, Canada, and in Asia and Europe. You'll love her vast experience --and unique offering of interactive presentation at your event.
Lauren began her interest in cutting silhouettes after studying the entertainments of historical time periods. She fell in love with silhouettes, the art of silhouette cutting, and its place in history. She is self-taught in the freehand-scissoring silhouette skill, based on descriptions from silhouette masters from previous centuries.
She is currently located in the Baltimore, Maryland / Washington DC region of the United States, yet she travels to other states, regions, and countries to serve events and museums, and facilities. “Have scissors, will travel”.
- In 2013, 2014, and 2015, Lauren was honored with being selected as a Master Traditional Artist from Early American Life Magazine
- In 2013 Lauren was interviewed by National Public Radio in her hometown of Baltimore, MD.
- In 2014 Lauren was interviewed for an international documentary film on silhouettes by UK-based silhouette master, Charles Burns. (Film release information TBA)
- In 2014 Silhouettes By Hand was nominated for Martha Stewart’s American Made
- In 2014 Lauren was selected as co-chair for the "Programming, Interpretation, and Education" professional group of the Association of Living History, Farm and Agricultural Museums